There are continuous threats of being infected by a virus over the internet. In spite of tremendous efforts that we have implemented, we are a target of viruses.
Typically, viruses are transmitted using extensions such as .zip and .exe. These are generally received from unknown sources. To combat this, we ask customers to send files using a proprietary .mceX extension. The extension .mceX is not used by any program, and therefore cannot self execute, making it safe to receive.
When sending us a file, follow this procedure:
- Rename the file by appending the extension .mceX.
Drawing334.dwg would become Drawing334.dwg.mceX somedocument.docx would become somedocument.docx.mceX
largefile.zip would become largefile.zip.mceX
- Send the file to MCE via e-mail.
- MCE will remove the .mceX, open, and confirm successfully receiving and opening the file.
How to change a file extension
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Click on Tools/Folder Options.
- A Folder Options window will open - Click on the View tab.
- Under "Advanced Settings" the first folder that appears is "files and folders". Below this there is a checkbox for "Hide extensions of known filetypes". Make sure this checkbox is UNCHECKED.
- Now click on the OK button. You should now be able to see the file extensions.
- Locate the file that you wish to send.
- Right-Click on this file, and select "Rename".
- Now add .mceX at the end of the extension. See examples above.
- Now send this file to MCE via e-mail.
How to change a file extension on your desktop
- Save the file to your desktop.
- Right-Click on the file and select "Rename".
- Add the .mceX extension. You may get a warning saying that changing the extension can make the file unstable; select "Yes" so that the changes do apply.
- Now send this file to MCE by copying to your e-mail.